Thursday, May 27, 2010

Tips and tricks for painting



While I apply these to Eldar, they are applicable to other armies, very easily. I'm sure many of you already know about these, or already do them.

There is a short list of things which you can do to really make your painting pop. Whether you choose to do so on all of your models, some of, or none is entirely your choice. Personally I tend to implement these on leader models, such as Exarchs, Farseers, Warlocks and Autarchs etc.

Something I'd like to cover first are eyes.

I know many people have trouble with just getting the paint neatly into the eye socket without it going everywhere. I did too. The easiest way I've found to do eyes is with a watered down paint into the socket.

First off, once that dries, it won't look any different, maybe a little bit neater. This brings to bear another technique that is common on higher painting circles, such as Golden Demon. This technique is Black Lining.

So you get the eye, and with some very watered down black paint with some wash (I use about 2:1:1 Water to paint, and wash. There is no ideal uniform ratio for any paint consistency, it just depends on your paints and you.) and you'll want to get it within the recesses. Try to not get this part onto the 'body' of the eye as it can lead to inconsistency in the colour spread of the eyes.

Finally, outside the eye socket you cab highlight the outer rim of the eye socket to the brightest colour that you have on the face.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this - I have a lot of trouble with eyes in particular. I still have a converted farseer to get through, but I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete